In the past few months and years, I have heard a lot about the magical powers of “superfoods.” According to Webmd.com, superfoods are powerful enough to lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease, as well as cancer and hypertension. Webmd.com also suggests these foods can even put you in a better mood. Now if you are like me and you have not only fallen off the weight loss wagon, but are rolling alongside hoping for a life preserver, this may be just what you have been looking for. Of course, I do not know the truth of falsity of any of this, but I thought it might be interesting to identify some of these superfoods alongside those “un–superfoods” for your consideration.
Before we get to foods voted “Most Likely to Succeed,” let us consider those “Most Likely to Call for Pepto.” This information comes from the Center for Science in the Public Interest… it sounds legit.
1. Marie Callender’s Chicken Pot Pie (never had it, I have no opinion on this one)
2. Olive Garden’s Tour of Italy (that’s just a shame)
3. Progresso Traditional, Vegtable Classics, and Rich & Hearty Soups (half of my favorite Saturday afternoon lunch)
4. Haagen Dasz Ice Cream (Take solace in the fact that it’s not Ben and Jerry’s)
5. The Cheesecake Factory Outrageous Chocolate Cake (count just about anything from this Cheesecake Factory really)
6. Smoothie King’s Grape Expectations II (silly me, I thought Smoothie King was good for you)
7. Pop Secret Movie Theatre Snack Size Bag (snack size movie theatre popcorn makes little sense anyhow, you know that can’t be good for you)
8. Starbucks Venti Caffe Mocha (now we are treading on sacred ground)
9. Chipotle Chicken Burrito (What!!)
10. Cold Stone Creamery Gotta Have It Founder’s Favorite (never had it, I have no opinion on this one either).
According to Dr.Perricone— who counts Oprah as a follower– identifies the following as the the Top 10 Superfoods.
1. Wild Salmon
2. The Allivm Family (garlic, onions, shalots, leeks, and chives)
3. Old Fashioned Oatmeal
5. Ginger Root and Tumeric
6. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7. Nuts and Seeds
8. Brightly Colored Fruits and Vegtables
10. Yougar or Kefir